More transparency needed in awarding of Bharat Ratna: MP CM
Bhopal: Amid the clamour for awarding Bharat Ratna to various personalities, including former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan Friday called for more transparency and setting some standards for selection for the coveted award.
There has been a growing demand from various quarters for awarding Vajpayee and hockey legend late Major Dhyan Chand, after the Centre recently bestowed the highest civilian honour on master blaster Sachin Tendulkar.
"There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Tendulkar deserved Bharat Ratna award and he got it. But, hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand was also a God for the people at that time and especially for hockey, and he should be given the country`s highest civilian honour," Chouhan told reporters in an interview.
When asked if there should be more transparency or a committee for electing a person for Bharat Ratna on the lines of selection made for constitutional posts, Chouhan said, "I don`t think that for doing everything you need a committee of that nature. Government on its own can do many things, but I feel it is true that there is a need for some more transparency or some laid down standards for selecting a person for such awards."
The BJP recently raised the demand for awarding Bharat Ratna to Vajpayee. Even Union Ministers Farooq Abdullah, M Pallam Raju and Shashi Tharoor, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar among others supported it.
The clamour has also grown louder for awarding hockey magician Dhyan Chand, whose stick led to India winning gold medals in three successive Olympics - Amsterdam (1928), Los Angeles (1932) and Berlin (1936).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why