MP CM hints at maut vrat over Special Courts Bill
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
Shivraj Singh Chouhan has hinted at undertaking a `maun vrat`
(vow of silence), if the Centre does not give assent to the MP
Special Courts Bill soon.
Chouhan told this to reporters at Mantralaya (state
secretariat) here on Wednesday, before he left for Delhi to meet
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, to whom, he had already
written a letter in this regard.
Chouhan said that if the Centre delays in giving
assent to the MP Special Courts Bill any further, he might
observe a `maun vrat`.
According to sources, even as Chidambaram has assured
Chouhan of necessary action, the latter said that he might
undertake `maun vrat` only after waiting for some time.
Asserting that the Bill is necessary for a speedy
trial of corruption cases, Chouhan said that he failed to
understand why the Centre was delaying the assent of the Bill
in Madhya Pradesh, when a similar Bill in Bihar had already
been passed and came into force.
Chouhan had met President Pratibha Patil on January 22
over the issue.
Terming the chief minister`s decision as "ridiculous",
the Leader of Opposition in the Assembly Ajay Singh said that
corruption could not be curbed through a Special Court Act, as
there is no dearth of anti-corruption laws in the state. He
said that strong willpower is necessary to deal with
"There is no dearth of laws in the state for checking
corruption. One needs a strong willpower to end the corruption
and not the Special Courts Act," Ajay Singh said in a
statement issued last evening.
He asked whether there was no law in the state today,
through which, the Chief Minister could curb corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...