MP CM subverted Panchayati Raj system: Digvijay
Nasrullaganj: Putting up a united front, the opposition Congress today expressed resolve to defeat the ruling BJP government in Madhya Pradesh for its "anti-people" policies, in the upcoming Assembly elections.
Leading the tirade, AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh said that Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has "subverted" the local self-government system.
"When I was chief minister, contract for various works were given directly to Gram Panchayats but this practise was discontinued during the BJP rule.
"Powers entrusted with Panchayats are taken away and these days panchayats are being regularly held at the chief minister`s residence," he said.
Digvijay was addressing a Congress rally here which was attended by a string of senior leaders, including Union ministers Kamal Nath and Jyotiraditya Scindia, Leader of Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Ajay Singh among others.
Accusing the Chouhan government of condoning illegal mining in the state, Digvijay said, "It appears the motto of BJP is to come up with a lie, repeat if often and loudly so that people start believing it as a truth".
Referring to recent defection of Congress Legislature Party`s (CLP) Deputy Leader, Choudhary Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi to BJP, Digvijay said that Choudhary has been promised a Rajya Sabha seat.
Taking a dig at the Chouhan government, Union minister Jyotiraditya Scindia said that Madhya Pradesh is leading the chart for rapes and crimes against weaker sections, and for other ignominious attributes like infant mortality.
Union Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Kamal Nath said that he had sanctioned Rs 25,000 crore for construction of road network in Madhya Pradesh when he was heading surface transport portfolio, but nothing was materialised on ground. Elections are due in Madhya Pradesh by the year end.
Kamal Nath alleged that the state government did not issue tenders for road constructions as BJP leaders "failed to fix the cut they will get from contractors for allotting them contracts".
Rajya Sabha MP, Satyavrat Chaturvedi said that chances of BJP coming to power again are very slim as the saffron party has well surpassed its "quota of sins".
Opposition Leader Ajay Singh said that Chouhan only believes in telling lies. "In my view, the only thing that Chouhan does from every morning till night is to tell lies," Ajay said.
Others who addressed the rally included Congress general secretary in-charge of the state, Mohan Prakash and the state unit Congress President Kantilal Bhuria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das