MP Lokayukta raids top cop, recovers assets worth Rs 25 crores
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh Lokayukta recovered Rs 25 crore worth of gold and silver in a raid from the residence of Deputy Inspector General-Prisons, Umesh Gandhi, and of his brother in Bhopal.
The raid was also conducted at the residence of the DIG’s brother, Ajay Gandhi, from where officials had seized jewellery and cash worth millions of rupees.
Documents related to three apartments in Bhopal, a plot of land, a seed farm and a poultry farm in Sagar district have also been found, sources said.
The team of 25 members conducted the raid after they received several complaints against DIG Gandhi for illegally amassing huge amount of wealth.
However, Ajay Gandhi exuded confidence and denied any wrongdoings.
“We have not done anything wrong and we will prove this. We do not posses any illegal wealth that cannot be proved,” said Gandhi.
Anti-corruption activists have in the past pressed for stricter rules to tackle corruption
Corruption is part of daily life in India - from bribes paid for something as simple as getting a gas connection, passport or avoiding a traffic violation, to multi-billion-dollar scandals.
(With ANI Inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India