MP Lokayukta raids top cop, recovers assets worth Rs 25 crores
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh Lokayukta recovered Rs 25 crore worth of gold and silver in a raid from the residence of Deputy Inspector General-Prisons, Umesh Gandhi, and of his brother in Bhopal.
The raid was also conducted at the residence of the DIG’s brother, Ajay Gandhi, from where officials had seized jewellery and cash worth millions of rupees.
Documents related to three apartments in Bhopal, a plot of land, a seed farm and a poultry farm in Sagar district have also been found, sources said.
The team of 25 members conducted the raid after they received several complaints against DIG Gandhi for illegally amassing huge amount of wealth.
However, Ajay Gandhi exuded confidence and denied any wrongdoings.
“We have not done anything wrong and we will prove this. We do not posses any illegal wealth that cannot be proved,” said Gandhi.
Anti-corruption activists have in the past pressed for stricter rules to tackle corruption
Corruption is part of daily life in India - from bribes paid for something as simple as getting a gas connection, passport or avoiding a traffic violation, to multi-billion-dollar scandals.
(With ANI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah