MP polls: Ending factionalism a daunting task for Cong
Bhopal: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi`s recent Madhya Pradesh visit provided the much-needed impetus to Congressmen in the state but containing groupism and declaring party tickets by July will be a daunting task for the faction-ridden outfit, party sources said.
As part of energising Congress workers in the state where assembly elections are due in November, Rahul visited Mohankheda and Bhopal to interact with party leaders and workers to have a feel of the party nerve.
The Congress heir-apparent began his visit from the famous Jain pilgrimage spot, Mohankheda situated on the border of tribal-dominated Dhar-Jhabua district and sought the blessings of noted Jain saint, Rishabh Chandra Vijayji Maharaj.
Addressing Congressmen, Rahul admitted that groupism is a problem plaguing the party and senior leaders have to sink their differences to ensure the party`s victory in the crucial 2013 assembly polls, party sources told a news agency today.
"While Rahul was harping on unity among party leaders at the top level, the bonhomie was missing among those present at the spot," they said.
There are four major leaders in the state --Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh, Union Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Kamal Nath, Union Minister of State for Power (Independent Charge) Jyotiraditya Scindia and former Union Minister Suresh Pachouri.
The supporters of Scindia were quite vocal at both Mohankheda and also at Bhopal demanding to project him as the Chief Ministerial candidate, the sources said.
The party workers specially highlighted the prevailing groupism in the party and urged him to address the problem at the earliest.
Addressing workers, Rahul asked the party men to forget Congress` defeat in 2003 and 2008 assembly elections and devote themselves with full determination and vigour to ensure party`s victory in 2013.
"The next assembly election in Madhya Pradesh is a big challenge for every Congressman," Rahul said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town