MP polls: Ending factionalism a daunting task for Cong
Bhopal: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi`s recent Madhya Pradesh visit provided the much-needed impetus to Congressmen in the state but containing groupism and declaring party tickets by July will be a daunting task for the faction-ridden outfit, party sources said.
As part of energising Congress workers in the state where assembly elections are due in November, Rahul visited Mohankheda and Bhopal to interact with party leaders and workers to have a feel of the party nerve.
The Congress heir-apparent began his visit from the famous Jain pilgrimage spot, Mohankheda situated on the border of tribal-dominated Dhar-Jhabua district and sought the blessings of noted Jain saint, Rishabh Chandra Vijayji Maharaj.
Addressing Congressmen, Rahul admitted that groupism is a problem plaguing the party and senior leaders have to sink their differences to ensure the party`s victory in the crucial 2013 assembly polls, party sources told a news agency today.
"While Rahul was harping on unity among party leaders at the top level, the bonhomie was missing among those present at the spot," they said.
There are four major leaders in the state --Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh, Union Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Kamal Nath, Union Minister of State for Power (Independent Charge) Jyotiraditya Scindia and former Union Minister Suresh Pachouri.
The supporters of Scindia were quite vocal at both Mohankheda and also at Bhopal demanding to project him as the Chief Ministerial candidate, the sources said.
The party workers specially highlighted the prevailing groupism in the party and urged him to address the problem at the earliest.
Addressing workers, Rahul asked the party men to forget Congress` defeat in 2003 and 2008 assembly elections and devote themselves with full determination and vigour to ensure party`s victory in 2013.
"The next assembly election in Madhya Pradesh is a big challenge for every Congressman," Rahul said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference