Narmada-Kshipra river linking scheme to be formally launched
Indore: Testing of the ambitious Narmada-Kshipra river linking scheme worth Rs 432 crore has been successful and is expected to be formally launched this month, Narmada Valley Development (NVDA) sources said.
"Our engineers took nearly 14 months to complete the Narmada-Kshipra Simhast Link Scheme which has been tested successfully," sources told.
Under the scheme, Narmada water would be lifted by deploying powerful pumps upto a height of 350 metres from a distance of 50 km and brought to the origin of Kshipra river, sources said.
The river at this spot appears be extinct, they said.
Water from the Narmada river would be lifted from the Sisliya pond in Khargone district and brought to Kshipra`s source from where it would be released into the Kshipra river.
From here, the water in Kshipra river would flow to a distance of 115 km to reach Ujjain where Simhast (Kumbh) mela is held every twelfth year. The foundation stone for the project was laid on November 29, 2012.
After completion of all three phases of the scheme, nearly 3,000 villages of the Malwa region and 70 towns would get ample water, besides it would also provide additional irrigation facilities in a 16-lakh hectare area, the sources said.
The scheme would also ensure availability of water in the Kshipra river in Ujjain during the Simhast 2016, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened