NGO asks MP Govt to take up compensation issue with Bhopal GoM
Bhopal: An NGO working for the Bhopal gas victims on Saturday asked the Madhya Pradesh Government to take up the issue of inadequate compensation to the affected families during the September 28 meeting of the Group of Ministers (GoM) on the 1984 tragedy.
In a letter to Gas Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Babulal Gaur, the Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Udyog Sangathan (BGPMUS) said the compensation of USD 470 million, accepted from Union Carbide in 1989, was "totally unjustified".
The compensation was taken for about 3,000 dead and 1.02 lakh injured, but it was actually distributed amongst 5,74,376 affected people, BGPMUS Convener Abdul Jabbar said.
The amount was disbursed several years after receiving it and the interest accrued was not distributed amongst the victims, he said.
The enhanced compensation (Rs 1,500 crore) announced three months ago by the Centre covered only 4 percent of the victims of the world`s worst industrial disaster, he stated.
Jabbar said the persons who got minimum compensation of Rs 25,000 have been found to be suffering from very serious health complications. Therefore, they all should get enhanced compensation, he said and requested Gaur to take up the matter forcefully with the GoM and ensure justice to victims.
He said BGPMUS had sent letters to Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, who heads the GoM, seeking enhanced monetary assistance for the gas victims.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed