Only 6 NRIs from Madhya Pradesh enrol for voting
Bhopal: Only six Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) have registered themselves in the electoral roll for voting in the November 25 Madhya Pradesh Assembly polls.
Efforts had been made to contact NRIs all over the globe. Letters had been written to industry bodies and other institutions asking them to give details about NRIs from the state living abroad, State Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Jaideep Govind today said.
The Non-Resident Indians were given voting right in 2010 after Parliament passed the Representation of People (Amendment) Bill. However, the person will be able to exercise the franchise only if he/she is enrolled in voter list and present in the constituency on the polling day.
The NRIs who have registered themselves for voting are Pramod Kumar, Shashi Kiran (both Gwalior), Mohd Iftekhar Khan (Indore), U Vishvakarma (Sehore), Abhilasha Tambe and Apree Tambe (both from Balaghat).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened