Program at Sanchi is apolitical, Chouhan writes to Vaiko
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has appealed MDMK leader Vaiko to call off the protest against Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s scheduled visit to Sanchi for laying the foundation stone of International Buddhist University.
In a letter to Vaiko, Chouhan said that function at Sanchi was completely apolitical.
It should be seen as an endeavour to promote peace and harmony among the Asian countries, the letter said.
The BJP leader assured Vaiko that he stood by the Tamils on the issue of human rights.
Madhya Pradesh government`s objective in setting up a university at Sanchi was to "bring together various civilisations of the Asian countries", he said.
Dignitaries from Bhutan, Myanmar, Thailand, Japan, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Mangolia and Nepal have been invited to the program, the Chief Minister pointed out.
Vaiko, an ardent advocate for the rights of Tamil population in Sri Lanka, had recently written a letter to Chouhan requesting him to withdraw the invitation to Rajapaksa, as people in Tamil Nadu blamed the Lankan President for atrocities against Tamils in that country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming