24 arrested for attack on toll-collection post in Thane
Mumbai: Twenty-four persons, mostly Congress activists, have been arrested for allegedly attacking a toll-collection post and ransacking the newly set up booths in Waghote village on Wada-Manor road in neighbouring Thane district, police said today.
"A total 24 persons have been arrested in connection with the toll collection naka attack. Most of them were Congress activists. Among the arrested include local Congress leader Nilesh Sambre," said S N Dhumal, inspector at Wada police station.
The accused were produced before a local court which remanded them in police custody till Friday, Dhumal added.
According to police, a group of about 50-60 strong mob led by Sambre attacked the toll booths on Tuesday.
Supreme Manor Wada Bhiwandi Infrastructure Pvt Ltd is authorised to collect the toll by the government.
Jayesh Chaudhry, a Congress activist and sub-contractor at the booth was attacked by Sambre and his group.
Sambre carried out the attack on Chaudhary as the former could not get the contract to collect the toll on behalf of Supreme Infrastructure Company, Dhumal added.
The attack was the outcome of rivalry between Chaudhry and Sambre, police said.
Meanwhile, Supreme Manor Wada Bhiwandi Infrastructure Pvt Ltd, said in a statement that it had received on March 2 a notification from the government authorising to collect the toll.
As per the PWD and tender requirements, Supreme has completed the required work and documentation, after which the notification has been issued by government and then Supreme commenced operations on March 4 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO