24 arrested for attack on toll-collection post in Thane
Mumbai: Twenty-four persons, mostly Congress activists, have been arrested for allegedly attacking a toll-collection post and ransacking the newly set up booths in Waghote village on Wada-Manor road in neighbouring Thane district, police said today.
"A total 24 persons have been arrested in connection with the toll collection naka attack. Most of them were Congress activists. Among the arrested include local Congress leader Nilesh Sambre," said S N Dhumal, inspector at Wada police station.
The accused were produced before a local court which remanded them in police custody till Friday, Dhumal added.
According to police, a group of about 50-60 strong mob led by Sambre attacked the toll booths on Tuesday.
Supreme Manor Wada Bhiwandi Infrastructure Pvt Ltd is authorised to collect the toll by the government.
Jayesh Chaudhry, a Congress activist and sub-contractor at the booth was attacked by Sambre and his group.
Sambre carried out the attack on Chaudhary as the former could not get the contract to collect the toll on behalf of Supreme Infrastructure Company, Dhumal added.
The attack was the outcome of rivalry between Chaudhry and Sambre, police said.
Meanwhile, Supreme Manor Wada Bhiwandi Infrastructure Pvt Ltd, said in a statement that it had received on March 2 a notification from the government authorising to collect the toll.
As per the PWD and tender requirements, Supreme has completed the required work and documentation, after which the notification has been issued by government and then Supreme commenced operations on March 4 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi