Adarsh case: ‘Deshmukh may be owning flats`
Mumbai: In fresh trouble for Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, an affidavit filed in the Bombay High Court alleges that he might be owning two flats through proxies in the scam-tainted Adarsh Housing Society.
The affidavit was filed on Thursday by social activist Pravin Wategaonkar, one of the petitioners who have sought action under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act against politicians and bureaucrats in the Adarsh case through a PIL.
"It was noticed in the CAG audit that in most cases decisions that were taken resulted in undue favour to the Society. Many of the officials who were involved in such decisions were direct beneficiaries. Either they or their relatives already were, or later became, members of the Society," it says, quoting the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report.
According to the affidavit, Deshmukh, during his tenure as Maharashtra Chief Minister, recommended three persons -- Uttam Ghakare, Amol Karbhari and Kiran Bhadange -- for membership of the Adarsh Society, and they were allotted flats in the high-rise.
It alleges that Karbhari and Bhadange, who hold adjacent flats 1503 and 1504, appear to be proxies for Deshmukh.
"Both these people have received finances totalling Rs 104.5 lakh from former Congress MLC and chief promoter of the Society Kanhaiyalal Gidwani (an accused in Adarsh case) and the company Apeksha Impex, reportedly owned by the Gidwanis themselves," the affidavit claims.
Further, it alleges, allotment of flats to the persons recommended by Deshmukh appears to be a quid-pro-quo for the clearances given to the Society in his capacity as Chief Minister and minister-in-charge of the Urban Development.
Next hearing of the PIL is on April 30.
Deshmukh recently received rebuke from High Court and later by the Supreme Court in the Whistling Woods land allotment case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27