Adarsh Society took Gidwani`s help, Thakur tells panel
Mumbai: The controversial Adarsh Society had taken the help of former Congress MLC Kanhaiyalal Gidwani to procure government land after earlier attempts failed, the society`s secretary R C Thakur told a two-member judicial panel set up by the state government, here on Monday.
Gidwani is one of promoters of the Adarsh Society and is also an accused along with R C Thakur, named by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in its chargesheet on the scam.
"When we (Thakur and retired brigadier M M Wanchoo) failed to get the land from 1995 to 1999, we took the help of Gidwani in getting the government land allotted. In return, the society management agreed that Gidwani may sponsor names of entitled members to the extent of 30 per cent," Thakur told the panel.
Justifying the society`s request for grant of additional Floor Space Index (FSI) from an adjoining BEST plot, Thakur, a retired Defence Estates Officer, said it was not possible to reduce the number of approved members.
"It was very difficult for the society to reduce the number of approved members and the committee therefore decided to accommodate them by taking additional FSI. The society felt it would be easier to get more land, than to reduce the number of members," Thakur said.
He also said that without additional FSI, it would not have been possible for the Adarsh Society to construct more three-bedroom flats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing