After Ajit Pawar, Sharad Pawar now unhappy with media
Satara: Nearly a week after Maharashtra`s Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar suggested a gag on the media, his uncle and union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Thursday criticised the fourth estate.
Speaking to newspersons in Satara, Pawar senior expressed his displeasure over media reports pertaining to the recent plunge in onion prices in the state.
"When the onion prices shot up, I was blamed. Now, when the onion rates have plummeted, I am being held responsible. I must be careful now with the media", an irritated Pawar said when bombarded with questions on the onion prices.
Last week at a function in Nanded, Ajit Pawar, Sharad Pawar’s nephew had attacked the media for allegedly indulging in untruths and half-truths and suggested a gag on those practising such journalism.
This kicked up a storm across the state, with the Patrakar Halla Virodhi Kruti Samiti boycotting Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan`s weekly media briefing on Wednesday.
Seeking an unconditional apology from Ajit Pawar, mediapersons continued their protest across the state.
Pune mediapersons on Thursday boycotted the proceedings attended by the deputy chief minister at a function in honour of Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, who passed away last month.
Assembled journalists, sporting black ribbons, stopped writing while the electronic media switched off their television cameras when he came on the dais to speak.
Earlier, a delegation of mediapersons called on Governor K. Sankaranarayanan to protest against his remarks.
Unfazed by the protests, Ajit Pawar denied having made the remarks and met Chavan on Wednesday to clarify his stand on the issue.
However, mediapersons have stuck to their stand and said that unless Pawar junior apologises, they would continue to boycott him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi