Anna aide withdraws from fray as NCP nominee
Mumbai: The sarpanch of Anna Hazare`s native
village Ralegan Siddhi, Jaisingh Mapari, who was to contest
the Zilla Parishad election on a Nationalist Congress Party
(NCP) ticket, today withdrew his candidature.
"Anna is unwell and at this stage his health and not
election is the priority. That is why I withdrew my
nomination," Mapari told PTI over phone.
The elections for Zilla Parishad are scheduled for
"The villagers were feeling disappointed with the fact
that there was a poll campaign underway when Anna was not
keeping good health," Mapari, who had filed nomination papers
on January 21, said adding "One can fight elections anytime,
but Anna`s health is more important,".
A source close to Hazare, however, said the likelihood
of Mapari being `deserted` by the local NCP leadership also
contributed to his withdrawing from the fray.
Incidentally, Hazare had last week attended the wedding
of Mapari`s daughter.
News of NCP offering ticket to Mapari for ZP elections
had raised eyebrows as Hazare, time and again spoken against
NCP president Sharad Pawar for "shielding corrupt ministers".
He had also opposed Pawar`s inclusion in the panel of civil
society members and government representatives to prepare a
draft of the Lokpal bill after his fast in April last year.
His remarks after an attack on Pawar in Delhi had created a
controversy as well.
Mapari had aspired to contest the election from the
Wade-Ghavan group (the ZP constituency under open category)
which falls in Parner taluka of Ahmednagar district.
"During my meeting with Anna, I took his blessings.
Though I aspired to contest the election on an NCP ticket, I
will always follow Anna`s principles of social service," he
had said earlier this month.
Mapari had also said that he would remain active in
Hazare`s anti-corruption fight and his plans to contest the
election would not hamper his fight against corruption. PTI VT
Section 144 imposed at Rajdhanwar in Giridih
Giridih (Jharkhand), Jan 30 (PTI) Prohibitory orders
under section 144 CrPC were today imposed at Rajdhanwar in
Giridih district after two groups clashed during immersion of
Saraswati idol, the police said here.
Prohibitory orders under section144 imposed in
Rajdhanwar where two groups clashed last night. The situation
is under control, Superintendent of Police A V Homker said.
He said there was no report of any injury during the
Several shops remained closed following the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP