Bal Thackeray remains critical, on life support
Mumbai: As Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray`s health condition became “critical”, his son Uddhav told party activists to remain calm.
"I have not lost hope. We are facing a crisis, we shall overcome," Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray said early Thursday.
Meanwhile, doctors treating the 86-year-old say he is on life support.
It was around 2 am when Uddhav stepped outside `Matoshree`, the abode of Thackeray, to address the massive crowd of anxious party activists who gathered there since late Wednesday.
Accompanied by son Aditya, Uddhav appealed to the people to "remain calm and maintain peace" and ensure that the image of `Matoshree` is not spoiled.
"The team of doctors is continuing their efforts....Balasaheb`s self-determination is very strong... We are facing a crisis, we shall overcome," Uddhav assured his supporters.
He added that Thackeray was responding positively to the medical treatment being administered by the doctors and urged his supporters to pray for their leader`s health and co-operate in maintaining peace.
Shortly after Uddhav`s assurance, many of the 5,000-plus party activists who had crowded around `Matoshree` slowly started dispersing.
Over 5,000 anxious Shiv Sainiks from Mumbai, Thane and other parts of the state trooped to Bandra east awaiting a word on their beloved leader`s health.
Late Wednesday, party executive president Uddhav Thackeray, through senior party colleague Ramdas Kadam issued an appeal to all party activists to "remain calm" and said treatment was continuing on the ailing leader.
Later, he and cousin Raj also came out briefly to assure that Thackeray was continuing treatment and appealed for peace.
The Mumbai police and other security agencies deployed tight security outside `Matoshree`, the clan`s home in Bandra west. Over 350 police personnel led by top officers were engaged in beefing up security arrangements in the vicinity.
All roads leading to `Matoshree` were also barricaded and even some party leaders had to abandon their vehicles near the Western Express Highway and walk the short route to the Thackeray household.
Traffic jams were reported on major roads to the north and south of Bandra inconveniencing thousands of people celebrating Diwali.
"Thackeray is serious, but stable. A team of doctors is continuously monitoring him," a senior party official who met him Wednesday evening, told a news agency, preferring anonymity.
Besides all members of the Thackeray family, nephew Raj Thackeray and his wife Sharmila, top Shiv Sena leaders like ex-Lok Sabha speaker Manohar Joshi, senior leader Subhash Desai, party MP Sanjay Raut, legislators Ramdas Kadam, Eknath Shinde and other elected representatives at various levels, senior Bharatiya Janata Party leader Vinod Tawade and others rushed to the bungalow around midnight.
Later, state Tourism Minister Chhagan Bhujbal, Bollywood mega-star Amitabh Bachchan accompanied by son Abhishek, Sanjay Dutt and wife Manyata were among other prominent personalities who went to Matoshree.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced