Beed doctor held for buying abortion drugs
Beed: A private medical practitioner has been arrested for allegedly making frequent purchases of abortion drugs from local medical stores, police said on Saturday.
Dr Pralhad Dhakne, who runs Sai Hospital in Georai tehsil, was apprehended last night and booked under sections 199 (false statement made in declaration which is by law receivable as evidence), 200 (using as true such declaration knowing it to be false) and 420 (cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property) among other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), they said.
Dr Dhakne was produced in a local court today which remanded him in police custody till July 30.
Dhakne came under scanner after the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) last month booked owners of three medical stores in the district for allegedly not maintaining record of sale of abortion medicines, police said.
According to police, the medical store owners told them that they had sold most of abortion drugs to Dhakne`s hospital.
Police suspect that the medicines might have been used in carrying out illegal abortions by Dhakne.
The FDA had intensified drive against medical shops in the district after a string of female foeticide cases came to light in the recent past.
The Aurangabad bench of the Bombay High Court on July 25 turned down the anticipatory bail applications of Pramod Gangawal, Sunil Kala and Dharmaraj Dudhal, the proprietors of three medical shops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days