Beed doctor held for buying abortion drugs
Beed: A private medical practitioner has been arrested for allegedly making frequent purchases of abortion drugs from local medical stores, police said on Saturday.
Dr Pralhad Dhakne, who runs Sai Hospital in Georai tehsil, was apprehended last night and booked under sections 199 (false statement made in declaration which is by law receivable as evidence), 200 (using as true such declaration knowing it to be false) and 420 (cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property) among other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), they said.
Dr Dhakne was produced in a local court today which remanded him in police custody till July 30.
Dhakne came under scanner after the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) last month booked owners of three medical stores in the district for allegedly not maintaining record of sale of abortion medicines, police said.
According to police, the medical store owners told them that they had sold most of abortion drugs to Dhakne`s hospital.
Police suspect that the medicines might have been used in carrying out illegal abortions by Dhakne.
The FDA had intensified drive against medical shops in the district after a string of female foeticide cases came to light in the recent past.
The Aurangabad bench of the Bombay High Court on July 25 turned down the anticipatory bail applications of Pramod Gangawal, Sunil Kala and Dharmaraj Dudhal, the proprietors of three medical shops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi