BJP-led alliance installs Muslim woman as Deputy Mayor in Nagpur
Nagpur: A Muslim woman corporator, nominee of the ruling BJP-led Nagpur Vikas Aghadi, was on Monday elected as Deputy Mayor of the Nagpur Municipal Corporation.
Jaitunbi Ashfaque Patel, who got 83 votes, trumped BSP`s Shabhana Parveen Jamal by a margin of 46 votes.
Jamal was supported by opposition Congress and NCP.
Patel is the second Muslim corporator from BJP to take the post, the first being Majid Shola.
The BJP-led front`s nomination of a Muslim candidate for the post is significant as the saffron party is trying to woo the minority community ahead of next year`s elections.
Former BJP president Nitin Gadkari, who is contemplating making his electoral debut from Nagpur Lok Sabha constituency, has been meeting local groups from Muslim-dominated areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city