BJP-led alliance installs Muslim woman as Deputy Mayor in Nagpur
Nagpur: A Muslim woman corporator, nominee of the ruling BJP-led Nagpur Vikas Aghadi, was on Monday elected as Deputy Mayor of the Nagpur Municipal Corporation.
Jaitunbi Ashfaque Patel, who got 83 votes, trumped BSP`s Shabhana Parveen Jamal by a margin of 46 votes.
Jamal was supported by opposition Congress and NCP.
Patel is the second Muslim corporator from BJP to take the post, the first being Majid Shola.
The BJP-led front`s nomination of a Muslim candidate for the post is significant as the saffron party is trying to woo the minority community ahead of next year`s elections.
Former BJP president Nitin Gadkari, who is contemplating making his electoral debut from Nagpur Lok Sabha constituency, has been meeting local groups from Muslim-dominated areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon