BMC deputy commissioner granted bail in graft case
Mumbai: The special Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) Court on Monday granted bail to the deputy commissioner of the city civic body, Chandrashekhar Rokade, in a graft case, shortly after he was remanded in judicial custody.
Granting bail to Rokade on a bond of Rs 50,000, the court directed him to attended the ACB office for eight days and not to tamper with the evidence or go absconding.
Pleading with the court for bail, Rokade`s counsel Mohan Tekawde said the civic official was a highly qualified person and his work in Akola Municipality was lauded by all.
Tekawade also argued that Rokade had launched a drive against illegal stalls and his name has never been associated with any corruption case.
He said since the ACB investigation in the case is over and they have nothing additional to recover pertaining to the case, there is no chance of tampering with the evidence as all the material regarding the investigation is with the police.
Tekawdae also argued that since Rokade hails from a good family there is no chance of him going absconding.
However, chief public prosecutor Kalpana Chavan opposed the bail saying that prima facie there is a case against Rokade and the investigation is still on.
When asked for his comments after the court granted him bail, Rokade just said, "God is great".
Rokade, who is Deputy Commissioner (Removal of Encroachment) of Birhanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), was caught red-handed by the Anti Corruption Bureau (ACB) on September 9 while taking bribe of Rs 1 lakh from a contractor at his Byculla office here.
According to ACB, Rokade was harassing contractors on the grounds that they were not providing labourers and vehicles properly for removal of encroachments. He had warned that their bills of Rs 9 crore would not be cleared.
Subsequently, he had demanded Rs 10 lakh to clear the bills and had already received a part of the amount.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?