BMC deputy commissioner granted bail in graft case
Mumbai: The special Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) Court on Monday granted bail to the deputy commissioner of the city civic body, Chandrashekhar Rokade, in a graft case, shortly after he was remanded in judicial custody.
Granting bail to Rokade on a bond of Rs 50,000, the court directed him to attended the ACB office for eight days and not to tamper with the evidence or go absconding.
Pleading with the court for bail, Rokade`s counsel Mohan Tekawde said the civic official was a highly qualified person and his work in Akola Municipality was lauded by all.
Tekawade also argued that Rokade had launched a drive against illegal stalls and his name has never been associated with any corruption case.
He said since the ACB investigation in the case is over and they have nothing additional to recover pertaining to the case, there is no chance of tampering with the evidence as all the material regarding the investigation is with the police.
Tekawdae also argued that since Rokade hails from a good family there is no chance of him going absconding.
However, chief public prosecutor Kalpana Chavan opposed the bail saying that prima facie there is a case against Rokade and the investigation is still on.
When asked for his comments after the court granted him bail, Rokade just said, "God is great".
Rokade, who is Deputy Commissioner (Removal of Encroachment) of Birhanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), was caught red-handed by the Anti Corruption Bureau (ACB) on September 9 while taking bribe of Rs 1 lakh from a contractor at his Byculla office here.
According to ACB, Rokade was harassing contractors on the grounds that they were not providing labourers and vehicles properly for removal of encroachments. He had warned that their bills of Rs 9 crore would not be cleared.
Subsequently, he had demanded Rs 10 lakh to clear the bills and had already received a part of the amount.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble