Bombay HC orders top Thane police officer to probe missing child case
Thane: The Bombay High Court has directed a senior police officer from Thane to carry out investigations into the case of a two-year-old missing child here after her father filed a habeas corpus petition alleging shoddy probe.
In their order, division bench of justices VM Kanade and P D Kode said, "We are surprised that the accused were released on bail and no useful information could be retrieved from them when they were in the custody of the police.
"It appears that proper investigation has not been done. We therefore, direct Ravindra Singhal, Additional Commissioner of Police, Crime Branch, Thane city to promptly look into the matter and take steps to find out whereabouts of the child and submit the report to this Court.
"We direct the respondents to place before us all the steps which were taken for investigation of the case on by July 30," it said.
According to the petitioner, 24-year-old Naresh Prajapati, a labourer from Mulla Baugh (Manpada) on August 21, 2013 his one year and nine month old daughter Manju was abducted while playing outside their home.
When the couple suspected that their child has been abducted they filed a missing complaint on the same day with Kasarwadavali Police Station under section 363 of the IPC.
Thereafter the couple enquired about the status of enquiry with the concerned police officer API Thorat, Prajapati said.
The petition further said that on every visit, the officer (respondent No.5 herein) used to inform them that the accused were arrested and released on bail and that their daughter is in safe custody.
Whenever the couple insisted that they needed physical custody of their child, the officer used to drive them out of the police station.
Following this, he referred the matter to senior police officers but nothing happened, it said.
Then the matter was referred to the Maharashtra State Commission for Protection of Child Rights but there also besides recording statements nothing materialised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?