Bombay HC seeks docs on Supriya Sule`s citizenship
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday issued a
Letter of Request to the Consulate General of Singapore,
seeking documents regarding alleged citizenship status of NCP
chief Sharad Pawar`s daughter Supriya Sule in that country.
The court was hearing an application of Mrunalini Kakade,
who has filed an election petition challenging the Baramati
MP`s election to the Lok Sabha in 2009, alleging, among other
things, that she held citizenship of Singapore then.
Kakade had said the court should issue summons to
Mahendran Muthusamy, councillor officer in the Consulate
General`s office, for deposing before HC, and also direct him
to produce all documents pertaining to the citizenship status
Kakade also alleged that Sule and her father were using
their influence to prevent officials from giving information.
Justice J H Bhatia today however refused to summon
Muthusamy to the court for deposition, but issued a letter of
request seeking documents by February 14.
The court is presently conducting a trial to decide the
dispute about Sule`s citizenship.
According to the election petition, Sule owes "adherence
and allegiance" to Singapore, where she had purchased property
and had investments along with her husband. According to the
petition, under Singapore law, once a person purchases
property there, he or she becomes a permanent resident of that
Sule has maintained that she was and is a citizen of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?