Builder`s murder: Retired cop arrested
Mumbai: A day after a Navi Mumbai builder was shot dead by two assailants dressed as private security guards, a retired policeman was arrested on Sunday in this connection.
"We have arrested Samuel Amolik in connection with the case," Navi Mumbai Police Commissioner AK Sharma said today.
Samuel, an `encounter specialist` in Mumbai who retired from the police force three years back, was allegedly in touch with the shooters, a police source said.
He was earlier suspended for his alleged links with the underworld, but later on was reinstated in the force, the source said.
Sunil Kumar Loharia, 50, had sustained five bullet injuries and stab wounds yesterday when he stepped out of his car in front of his office in Vashi area of Navi Mumbai. He later died at a hospital.
The two motorcycle borne assailants had approached Loharia when he was walking towards his office. While one of them shot him at point-blank range, the pillion rider attacked the builder with a chopper.
While one of the attackers escaped, another assailant -- identified as 35-year-old Venkatesh Shettiar -- was caught by locals and Loharia`s staff. He was handed to police later.
The motive of the killing was suspected to be business rivalry, police said, adding that further investigation in the case was on.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'