Builder`s murder: Retired cop arrested
Mumbai: A day after a Navi Mumbai builder was shot dead by two assailants dressed as private security guards, a retired policeman was arrested on Sunday in this connection.
"We have arrested Samuel Amolik in connection with the case," Navi Mumbai Police Commissioner AK Sharma said today.
Samuel, an `encounter specialist` in Mumbai who retired from the police force three years back, was allegedly in touch with the shooters, a police source said.
He was earlier suspended for his alleged links with the underworld, but later on was reinstated in the force, the source said.
Sunil Kumar Loharia, 50, had sustained five bullet injuries and stab wounds yesterday when he stepped out of his car in front of his office in Vashi area of Navi Mumbai. He later died at a hospital.
The two motorcycle borne assailants had approached Loharia when he was walking towards his office. While one of them shot him at point-blank range, the pillion rider attacked the builder with a chopper.
While one of the attackers escaped, another assailant -- identified as 35-year-old Venkatesh Shettiar -- was caught by locals and Loharia`s staff. He was handed to police later.
The motive of the killing was suspected to be business rivalry, police said, adding that further investigation in the case was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'