Building crashes minutes after residents evacuated in Thane
Thane: Residents of a four-storey building in the market area of Kalwa locality in Thane had a lucky escape as the structure, which had developed cracks, collapsed minutes after it was evacuated early on Monday.
According to the Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) officials, the building crashed in the wee hours, in which one woman was injured.
Around 2 am, some of the occupants of the 32-year-old `Annapurna` building, who had gone to attend a wedding nearby, spotted that the structure had developed huge cracks, they said.
The building was immediately evacuated and soon afterwards the structure came crashing down. There were 24 tenements in the building.
A woman police constable, Kanchan Gogle (24), a resident of the building, received minor injuries in the incident and is being treated at the Civic Hospital at Kalwa, the Disaster Management Cell of TMC said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, who visited the site, assured financial assistance to the affected families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai