Building crashes minutes after residents evacuated in Thane
Thane: Residents of a four-storey building in the market area of Kalwa locality in Thane had a lucky escape as the structure, which had developed cracks, collapsed minutes after it was evacuated early on Monday.
According to the Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) officials, the building crashed in the wee hours, in which one woman was injured.
Around 2 am, some of the occupants of the 32-year-old `Annapurna` building, who had gone to attend a wedding nearby, spotted that the structure had developed huge cracks, they said.
The building was immediately evacuated and soon afterwards the structure came crashing down. There were 24 tenements in the building.
A woman police constable, Kanchan Gogle (24), a resident of the building, received minor injuries in the incident and is being treated at the Civic Hospital at Kalwa, the Disaster Management Cell of TMC said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, who visited the site, assured financial assistance to the affected families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand