Centre okays purchase of jackets for police
Mumbai: Maharashtra government today
informed the Legislative Assembly that Centre had sanctioned
purchase of 2,000 bullet-proof jackets and 10,000 SLR rifles
for the state police.
"Last night, the Centre sanctioned 2,000 bullet-proof
jackets and 10,000 SLR rifles," state Home Minister R R Patil
told the House after the Question hour.
The government had come under fire post the July 13
blasts in Mumbai for allegedly not implementing the security
measures suggested by Pradhan Committee, which had been set up
after the terror strike in November 26, 2008.
The previous purchase of bullet-proof jackets has been
mired in controversy with allegations of irregularities and
jackets being sub-standard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez