Cong banks on sympathy wave in Yavatmal by-poll
Nagpur: The ruling Congress would be relying on the sympathy wave in Sunday`s by-election to Yavatmal Assembly constituency in Maharashtra.
Congress has fielded Nandini Parvekar, the widow of the late MLA Nilesh Parvekar, whose death in a car accident necessitated the by-election, while BJP has fielded Madan Yerawar.
Yerawar, a two-time MLA, had lost to Nilesh Parvekar in 2009.
Apart from Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, senior Congress leaders such as MP Sanjay Nirupam, state ministers Narayan Rane, Shivajirao Moghe and state Congress chief Manikrao Thakre campaigned in the city.
From BJP, its state unit chief Devendra Fadanvis and his predecessor Sudhir Mungatniwar were the prominent ones to campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- It's a 'happy-sad feeling' for Anushka Sharma as 'Phillauri' shoot comes to an end!
- Lankan Navy damages seven boats of Tamil Nadu fishermen
- At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 'Too much' or 'too little' sleep can raise diabetes risk in men
- 7th Pay Commission: No decision yet on increase in allowances; pay hike to be implemented from Jan 2016