Cong banks on sympathy wave in Yavatmal by-poll
Nagpur: The ruling Congress would be relying on the sympathy wave in Sunday`s by-election to Yavatmal Assembly constituency in Maharashtra.
Congress has fielded Nandini Parvekar, the widow of the late MLA Nilesh Parvekar, whose death in a car accident necessitated the by-election, while BJP has fielded Madan Yerawar.
Yerawar, a two-time MLA, had lost to Nilesh Parvekar in 2009.
Apart from Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, senior Congress leaders such as MP Sanjay Nirupam, state ministers Narayan Rane, Shivajirao Moghe and state Congress chief Manikrao Thakre campaigned in the city.
From BJP, its state unit chief Devendra Fadanvis and his predecessor Sudhir Mungatniwar were the prominent ones to campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal