Congerss MLA Bavku Undha resigns, re-joins BJP
Ahmedabad: Ex-BJP leader and current Congress legislator from Lathi Assembly constituency in Amreli district, Bavku Undhad on Monday resigned as MLA and primary member of Congress to rejoin BJP.
Undhad had left BJP just before the 2007 Assembly elections alleging that chief minister Narendra Modi was running the party in a dictatorial manner.
He today joined BJP at its state headquarters here saying "the country is in need of leadership of Narendra Modi".
Undhad hails from numerically and politically strong Leuva Patel community.
The MLA said he was returning to BJP which gave him footing in politics. He contested on Congress ticket in 2007 and 2012 Assembly elections and emerged victorious.
"I have joined BJP today with my supporters and party workers. Seeing the current situation our country is in, it is important that Narendra Modi becomes Prime Minister of India", Undhad said at the party headquarters in Khanpur here.
State BJP president RC Faldu, outgoing Rajya Sabha MP Purshottam Rupala and former agriculture minister Dileep Sanghani were present on the occasion.
Earlier, in the day he submitted his resignation to Assembly speaker Vajubhi Vala, which was accepted.
On quitting Congress at this juncture, Undhad said, "I have joined BJP after holding several discussions and deliberations with my supporters and party leaders.However Congress did no injustice to me".
When asked how he could support Modi whom he revolted against before the 2007 polls, he said, "Seeing the current political situation in the country, it is important that Narendra Modi becomes prime minister. India requires the leadership of Narendra Modi. The Congress will be wiped out in the coming general elections".
"I acted as responsible opposition (Congress) leader
while in the state Assembly. I was doing what my party was asking me to do", Undhad said.
On whether he would contest the upcoming Lok Sabha polls from Amreli constituency, he said, "the party would decide whether he should contest or not".
Undhad`s resignation has brought down Congress` strength in the Assembly to 56 against BJP`s 119 excluding him. His resignation has necessitated by-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das