Congerss MLA Bavku Undha resigns, re-joins BJP
Ahmedabad: Ex-BJP leader and current Congress legislator from Lathi Assembly constituency in Amreli district, Bavku Undhad on Monday resigned as MLA and primary member of Congress to rejoin BJP.
Undhad had left BJP just before the 2007 Assembly elections alleging that chief minister Narendra Modi was running the party in a dictatorial manner.
He today joined BJP at its state headquarters here saying "the country is in need of leadership of Narendra Modi".
Undhad hails from numerically and politically strong Leuva Patel community.
The MLA said he was returning to BJP which gave him footing in politics. He contested on Congress ticket in 2007 and 2012 Assembly elections and emerged victorious.
"I have joined BJP today with my supporters and party workers. Seeing the current situation our country is in, it is important that Narendra Modi becomes Prime Minister of India", Undhad said at the party headquarters in Khanpur here.
State BJP president RC Faldu, outgoing Rajya Sabha MP Purshottam Rupala and former agriculture minister Dileep Sanghani were present on the occasion.
Earlier, in the day he submitted his resignation to Assembly speaker Vajubhi Vala, which was accepted.
On quitting Congress at this juncture, Undhad said, "I have joined BJP after holding several discussions and deliberations with my supporters and party leaders.However Congress did no injustice to me".
When asked how he could support Modi whom he revolted against before the 2007 polls, he said, "Seeing the current political situation in the country, it is important that Narendra Modi becomes prime minister. India requires the leadership of Narendra Modi. The Congress will be wiped out in the coming general elections".
"I acted as responsible opposition (Congress) leader
while in the state Assembly. I was doing what my party was asking me to do", Undhad said.
On whether he would contest the upcoming Lok Sabha polls from Amreli constituency, he said, "the party would decide whether he should contest or not".
Undhad`s resignation has brought down Congress` strength in the Assembly to 56 against BJP`s 119 excluding him. His resignation has necessitated by-election.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark