Congress plans rail blockade in Maharashtra against fare hike
Mumbai: The Maharashtra unit of the Congress will organise a rail blockade across the state Wednesday to protest the recent hike in railway passenger fares and freight rates, its chief said Monday.
"We demand a roll-back of the fares immediately, failing which we will launch a rail-roko (block trains) agitation across Maharashtra," state Congress president Manikrao Thakre said here after a meeting with party office-bearers.
The meeting also resolved that if the central government failed to heed the anti-hike sentiments of the masses, the Congress would intensify its agitation.
The Wednesday agitation will see rail blockades at major railway stations in Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Aurangabad and other parts of the state.
Earlier, during the day, Thakre and scores of Congress activists who included ministers, parliamentarians, legislators and other elected representatives travelled ticketless from Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus to Thane to protest the hike.
They also staged noisy demonstrations at the CST, Thane and other major railway stations to press the demand for the rollback of the rail fare hikes, which they said would deal a severe blow to domestic budgets.
On Tuesday, a similar agitation has been planned by former MP from Mumbai North Sanjay Nirupam in Malad suburb.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands