Congressmen burn effigy of Ramdev in Navi Mumbai, demand his arrest
Thane: Congressmen from Navi Mumbai on Wednesday burnt an effigy of yoga guru Baba Ramdev and demanded his arrest for his alleged derogatory remarks targeting party Vice-President Rahul Gandhi.
Navi Mumbai Congress chief Dashrath Bhagat led a protest march here, in which a number of local party leaders and activists participated.
Members of NSUI, the party`s student wing, also took part in the agitation, which culminated in the burning of an effigy of Ramdev as a mark of protest against his remarks.
Vice-President Thane District NSUI Rahul Trimbake and General Secretary Manoj Maharana dubbed the yoga guru as an "agent" of BJP and demanded his arrest.
Last week, addressing a programme in Lucknow, Ramdev had said, "Rahul goes to Dalits` houses for honeymoon and picnic." After massive outrage, he had expressed regret.
A number of FIRs have been filed against the yoga guru, a known supporter of BJP`s Prime Ministerial nominee Narendra Modi, under SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act in several cities for his alleged anti-Dalit remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 : BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016, BSEB 12th Vocational Results to be declared at biharboard.bih.nic.in, www.biharboard.net
- US snubs Pakistan, says India's entry to nuclear club is not about arms
- Congress to hold legislature party meeting in Puducherry today, decision on CM candidate likely