Cut off power of errant electroplating units: HC
Mumbai: In a crackdown on errant electroplating units, the Bombay High Court has directed officials of the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB) and electric supply companies to visit units which flout pollution norms and disconnect power supply.
"It goes without saying that once the electricity supply is disconnected, same cannot be restored without specific order of the authorised officer of the MPCB, in writing, to the concerned electricity company," observed Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice Nitin Jamdar in a recent order.
Hearing a petition filed by Solomon Mordecai, the court had earlier allowed electric supply companies such as Tata Power, Reliance Energy and BEST to be made as party respondents to ensure that the closure notices issued by MPCB are complied with by discontinuing power supply to such errant electroplating units.
Assistant government pleader J J Saluja submitted that the representations made so far by the Association of electroplating units were for regularisation in the present site and not for relocating to an alternate place.
Counsel for the association said it would make another representation with a request for allotment of land for relocating the defaulting electroplating units.
The court, however, said such a representation be made within two weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened