Do not go out alone: Hema Malini`s advise to women post Mumbai gang-rape
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
Pune: Even as the country is coming to terms with the horrific rape of a young photo-journalist in Mumbai on August 22, actor and Member of Parliament, Hema Malini, has made a comment on the issue which might ruffle some feathers.
Speaking at a function here, Hema said that women should not go anywhere alone as anything could happen to them if they do.
"Don`t take it so easy and go anywhere you want. You can get caught," she said. Further, drawing an analogy she said, "Krishna would always come to protect Draupadi. We are not so spiritual that God will come to save."
At a time when women in the country are demanding more protection and safety for themselves and a change in perception of the mindset of the administrators and the society as a whole, this suggestion by the BJP MP might be seen as ill-timed.
The photo-journalist was allegedly raped by four men in the Shakti Mills compound where she had gone for an assignment for a magazine in which she was interning. She was accompanied by a male friend. The perpetrators of the crime thrashed and tied the victim`s male friend and took turns to rape the girl.
All the five accused have been arrested by the police, with the Maharashtra government handing over the case to be tried in a fast-track court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!