Facebook row: Shiv Sena calls for bandh in Palghar
Mumbai: Shiv Sena has called for a bandh in Palghar, in the adjoining Thane district, tomorrow in protest against the suspension of police officers who had arrested two girls over a Facebook post, criticising shutdown during Bal Thackeray`s funeral.
Shiv Sena MLA from Thane Eknath Shinde said the call for the bandh was given by the party`s local unit.
Criticising the suspension of the two police officers, he said, "The police acted as per the prevailing situation. Even the girls do not have any complaint against the police."
Earlier in the day, Thane rural SP Ravindra Sengaonkar and senior police inspector in Palghar, Shreekant Pingle, were suspended and a departmental enquiry ordered against them for applying wrong charges against the two girls while Additional SP Sangram Nishandar was "warned in writing and reprimanded" for dereliction of duty.
Announcing the action against the policemen, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil said, "Wrong sections were applied against the girls and there was no need to take hasty action (against the girls)."
Shiv Sainiks had ransacked the clinic of one of the girl`s uncle in protest against her Facebook comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?