Facebook row: Shiv Sena calls for bandh in Palghar
Mumbai: Shiv Sena has called for a bandh in Palghar, in the adjoining Thane district, tomorrow in protest against the suspension of police officers who had arrested two girls over a Facebook post, criticising shutdown during Bal Thackeray`s funeral.
Shiv Sena MLA from Thane Eknath Shinde said the call for the bandh was given by the party`s local unit.
Criticising the suspension of the two police officers, he said, "The police acted as per the prevailing situation. Even the girls do not have any complaint against the police."
Earlier in the day, Thane rural SP Ravindra Sengaonkar and senior police inspector in Palghar, Shreekant Pingle, were suspended and a departmental enquiry ordered against them for applying wrong charges against the two girls while Additional SP Sangram Nishandar was "warned in writing and reprimanded" for dereliction of duty.
Announcing the action against the policemen, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil said, "Wrong sections were applied against the girls and there was no need to take hasty action (against the girls)."
Shiv Sainiks had ransacked the clinic of one of the girl`s uncle in protest against her Facebook comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Assam CM-designate Sarbananda Sonowal thanks PM Narendra Modi on being elected as BJP legislature leader
- Congress backs Raghuram Rajan, says India ''going through a bad shape''
- Non-bailable warrant against BJP MP Manoj Tiwari, four others
- Bid rivals set to join forces for Tata Steel UK buyout: Report
- PM Narendra Modi calls for country to move towards cashless society