Female foeticide: Maha Govt orders formation of special squads
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government on Monday announced formation of special district-level squads to curb female foeticide cases.
The directive was issued by Chief Secretary Jayantkumar Banthia, after a video conference with senior health and police officials here.
Banthia reviewed recent cases of female foeticides in Beed, Solapur and Latur districts during the meeting.
The squads would comprise officials from police, revenue and health departments and conduct inspection of sonography centres and abortion clinics, Banthia said.
The Food and Drug Administration should act against chemists who sold medicines used in abortion without proper prescription, he said.
The government has directed inspection of all maternity homes and centres for Medical Termination of Pregnancy across Beed district after two aborted female foetuses were found in a garbage dump on Saturday.
The health department, with the help of local police, has begun inspecting all the maternity centres and collecting records of patients admitted and deliveries and abortions conducted to find out where these two foetuses could have come from.
Beed district has the lowest male-female sex ratio among children under the age of 6 in Maharashtra at 801 female against 1000 male children, according to the 2011 census.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!