Five Shiv Sena legislators suspended for one year
Nagpur: Five Shiv Sena legislators were on Thursday suspended from the Maharashtra Assembly for a year following their unruly behaviour on two consecutive days.
Sanjay Rathor, Sharad Patil, Ravindra Waikar, Abhijit Adsul and Ashish Jaiswal have also been barred from entering the premises of the state legislature buildings in Nagpur and Mumbai for a year, till the next Winter Session. The MPs were demanding adequate compensation for farmers who had suffered huge losses during unseasonal rains over the last two months.
The Winter Session of the Maharashtra Assembly started here on Wednesday.
A visibly upset Parliamentary Affairs Minister Harshavardhan Patil told journalists that the stringent preventive action was taken as the legislators` unruly behaviour could continue even in the future.
The suspension came in the wake of chaotic scenes in the Assembly on Wednesday and Thursday when the members climbed on the Speaker`s podium, grabbed the Speaker`s mace and waved it in the air.
They are also accused of insulting the constitution, a copy of which they allegedly mishandled, besides throwing away legislature documents and files.
The resolution to suspend the five legislators was moved by Patil and accepted by the house by a voice vote.
Following the uproar after the suspension order, the house was adjourned for the day.
Rathor was on Wednesday suspended for the entire Winter Session, but the punishment was hiked to one year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference