Five Shiv Sena legislators suspended for one year
Nagpur: Five Shiv Sena legislators were on Thursday suspended from the Maharashtra Assembly for a year following their unruly behaviour on two consecutive days.
Sanjay Rathor, Sharad Patil, Ravindra Waikar, Abhijit Adsul and Ashish Jaiswal have also been barred from entering the premises of the state legislature buildings in Nagpur and Mumbai for a year, till the next Winter Session. The MPs were demanding adequate compensation for farmers who had suffered huge losses during unseasonal rains over the last two months.
The Winter Session of the Maharashtra Assembly started here on Wednesday.
A visibly upset Parliamentary Affairs Minister Harshavardhan Patil told journalists that the stringent preventive action was taken as the legislators` unruly behaviour could continue even in the future.
The suspension came in the wake of chaotic scenes in the Assembly on Wednesday and Thursday when the members climbed on the Speaker`s podium, grabbed the Speaker`s mace and waved it in the air.
They are also accused of insulting the constitution, a copy of which they allegedly mishandled, besides throwing away legislature documents and files.
The resolution to suspend the five legislators was moved by Patil and accepted by the house by a voice vote.
Following the uproar after the suspension order, the house was adjourned for the day.
Rathor was on Wednesday suspended for the entire Winter Session, but the punishment was hiked to one year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015