Gang duping people with foreign exchange busted
Nashik: Twelve persons including a Bangladeshi woman were arrested for allegedly duping people by offering US dollars in exchange of Indian currency at a cheaper rate, a senior police official said on Monday.
The 12 members of the gang, including four women, were arrested yesterday, Deputy Commissioner of Police Sandeep Diwan said.
Acting on a complaint filed by one of the victims, police laid a trap and sent a policeman as a decoy customer in Dwarka area of Nashik yesterday to strike a deal with the fraudsters.
Police sub-inspector Bajirao Mahajan, posing as a decoy customer, sought dollars in exchange of his gold chain and bracelet at Dwarka circle.
Two of the fraudsters, who had come to strike the deal, took him to a nearby alley and offered dollars. At that time, the other police personnel, hiding in plain clothes, nabbed the duo.
Police got a tip-off regarding the fraud going on in the city from one Akbarbhai, who had been allegedly duped by the gang last week.
He had complained to police that when he approached the gang for dollars in exchange of Rs 2.5 lakh for going on Haj, the cheats handed him a parcel which contained only two dollars and rest all blank card sheets stacked in bundles, and fled with his money.
He also provided police the cellphone numbers of the cheats whom he had contacted.
Based on the information provided by the two accused, police then raided a `chawl` in Gangapurgaon area of Nashik city and arrested 10 other gang members, including four women of whom one is a Bangladeshi national. The other three women hailed from West Bengal and Bihar.
During the raid at their rooms in Gangapurgaon, police also seized some dollars, blank card sheets and eight cellphones from the accused.
The identity of accused was being ascertained, they said.
An offence has also been registered against the chawl owner for providing rooms to the accused on rent without seeking their detailed information and verifying their whereabouts, they added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!