Girl produced in Habeas Corpus matter before Bombay HC
Mumbai: On a directive of the Bombay High
Court in a habeas corpus matter, police today produced before
a division bench a girl who was taken away by her parents to
their native place in Amritsar, Punjab, after her marriage to
a merchant marine officer in Mumbai.
Justice Ajay Khanvilkar and Justice U D Salvi disposed of
the petition filed by the Marine officer after police produced
the girl before the Court.
The bench refused to pass any order on the custody of the
girl saying it was a matter to be decided amicably by the
couple and their parents.
The matter arose in March 2008 when the petitioner,
Inderpal Walia went to Amritsar from Bhayander in Mumbai with
his parents to sell family property. In Amritsar, he came in
contact with Veena Kaur (name changed to conceal identity) and
fell in love.
Both Inderpal and Veena wanted to get married and sought
permission from their parents. However the girl`s family was
not financially well off and they decided to get them married
in Mumbai with bare minimum expenses.
In November 2008, Inderpal returned to Mumbai and two
months later Veena arrived in Mumbai. Both were married at
Arya Samaj here on January 20 last year and got themselves
registered with the Registrar of Marriages, the petition said.
Later, Veena`s parents arrived in Mumbai and took her
away against her wishes, the petitioner claimed and added that
he tried his best to persuade her parents but all was in vain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack