Girl produced in Habeas Corpus matter before Bombay HC
Mumbai: On a directive of the Bombay High
Court in a habeas corpus matter, police today produced before
a division bench a girl who was taken away by her parents to
their native place in Amritsar, Punjab, after her marriage to
a merchant marine officer in Mumbai.
Justice Ajay Khanvilkar and Justice U D Salvi disposed of
the petition filed by the Marine officer after police produced
the girl before the Court.
The bench refused to pass any order on the custody of the
girl saying it was a matter to be decided amicably by the
couple and their parents.
The matter arose in March 2008 when the petitioner,
Inderpal Walia went to Amritsar from Bhayander in Mumbai with
his parents to sell family property. In Amritsar, he came in
contact with Veena Kaur (name changed to conceal identity) and
fell in love.
Both Inderpal and Veena wanted to get married and sought
permission from their parents. However the girl`s family was
not financially well off and they decided to get them married
in Mumbai with bare minimum expenses.
In November 2008, Inderpal returned to Mumbai and two
months later Veena arrived in Mumbai. Both were married at
Arya Samaj here on January 20 last year and got themselves
registered with the Registrar of Marriages, the petition said.
Later, Veena`s parents arrived in Mumbai and took her
away against her wishes, the petitioner claimed and added that
he tried his best to persuade her parents but all was in vain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore