Girl stripped, tonsured for marrying upper caste boy in Thane
Zee Media Bureau
Thane: In yet another shameful incident, a 19-year-old girl was allegedly stripped, beaten up and her head tonsured by her in-laws for marrying their son in Thane.
According to police, the victim was beaten up by her in-laws as they were strongly opposed to her marriage with their son since they belong to an upper caste.
The girl lodged a complaint with Padgha Police Station in Shahapur taluka of Thane district yesterday in which she alleged that on August 30 her in-laws stripped her, tonsured her head and assaulted her severely.
Despite stiff opposition from his family, the victim and the boy got married in May this year and were living at her parent`s house in Pali village of Dabhade in Bhiwandi taluka.
On August 30, when the couple were on their way back to the girl`s house, the boy`s family members forcibly took both of them to their home at Maide in Bhiwandi.
They then tied the couple at the entrance of their home and then allegedly stripped the girl and tonsured her head, the victim said in her complaint.
The girl also mentioned that one of Yogesh`s brother took their pictures on his mobile phone after they were "punished" and threatened them.
The couple was later rescued by the Maide village sarpanch, Santosh Patil, who took them to Padgha police station where it was decided that they will live separately.
However, last night the girl filed a complaint against Yogesh`s family members.
A case under sections 498(a) (cruelty), 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty), 353, 504, 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC and relevant sections of Prevention of Atrocities on SC and ST Act, 1989, have been registered against the girl`s in-laws.
However, no arrests have been made so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards