Girl stripped, tonsured for marrying upper caste boy in Thane
Zee Media Bureau
Thane: In yet another shameful incident, a 19-year-old girl was allegedly stripped, beaten up and her head tonsured by her in-laws for marrying their son in Thane.
According to police, the victim was beaten up by her in-laws as they were strongly opposed to her marriage with their son since they belong to an upper caste.
The girl lodged a complaint with Padgha Police Station in Shahapur taluka of Thane district yesterday in which she alleged that on August 30 her in-laws stripped her, tonsured her head and assaulted her severely.
Despite stiff opposition from his family, the victim and the boy got married in May this year and were living at her parent`s house in Pali village of Dabhade in Bhiwandi taluka.
On August 30, when the couple were on their way back to the girl`s house, the boy`s family members forcibly took both of them to their home at Maide in Bhiwandi.
They then tied the couple at the entrance of their home and then allegedly stripped the girl and tonsured her head, the victim said in her complaint.
The girl also mentioned that one of Yogesh`s brother took their pictures on his mobile phone after they were "punished" and threatened them.
The couple was later rescued by the Maide village sarpanch, Santosh Patil, who took them to Padgha police station where it was decided that they will live separately.
However, last night the girl filed a complaint against Yogesh`s family members.
A case under sections 498(a) (cruelty), 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty), 353, 504, 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC and relevant sections of Prevention of Atrocities on SC and ST Act, 1989, have been registered against the girl`s in-laws.
However, no arrests have been made so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city