Govt approves construction of 33.5 km Mumbai metro
New Delhi: The government has given its approval for the construction of a 33.5 km-long metro corridor in Mumbai which would run from Colaba to Santacruz Electronics Export Processing Zone (SEEPZ) via Bandra.
The approval for the corridor, which is also known as Mumbai Metro Line-3, was given at a meeting of the Union Cabinet held yesterday evening.
The total completion cost of the project is estimated at Rs 23,136 crore and the line through its total length of 33.5 km will be underground. The gauge would be standard gauge, as per the Detailed Project Report (DPR).
The project is scheduled to be completed in six years by March 2019 from the date of start of work in the financial year 2013-14.
An official statement released here said that the Cabinet had also approved the conversion of the existing state level Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRC) into a joint venture company of the Government of India (GoI) and Government of Maharashtra (GoM), with equity participation on 50:50 basis.
MMRC is the agency which would be implementing the line three metro corridor. The joint ownership company will continue to be named as MMRC and has been created on a similar pattern as the Delhi Metro, Bangalore Metro, Chennai Metro and Kochi Metro.
The promoters of MMRC, the Government of India and the Maharashtra government would nominate five Directors each to the Board of Directors of the SPV, which shall have 10 nominee Directors.
The Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development will be the ex-officio Chairman of the Board, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray