Hasan Ali`s wife granted bail
Mumbai: A special court on Thursday granted bail
to the wife of Pune businessman and alleged tax evader Hasan
Enforcement Directorate (ED) had initiated proceedings
against Rheema Khan under the Prevention of Money Laundering
Act (PMLA) and relevant section of the IPC for not responding
to summons and appearing before the agency for questioning.
She was granted bail by the special PMLA court here. Her
application seeking quashing of the ED proceedings against her
was rejected by the court on September 8 after which she filed
Rheema, on August 17, had approached the court asking for
direction to quash the proceedings which were initiated after
she did not respond to the summons.
"She had earlier filed bail application after which the
court granted her interim bail. Now she has been given regular
bail," said an ED officer.
ED has alleged that Hasan, currently in jail, and his
Kolkata-based businessman associate Kashinath Tapuriah had
stashed away billions of dollars in foreign banks.
Tapuriah had helped Hasan, who was into scrap trading
business, to get lucrative contracts for supply of scrap to
some top steel companies, the agency said.
Hasan, who owns race horses, is also facing close to Rs
70,000-crore tax demand notice from the Income Tax Department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!