HC asks for probe against lecturers before terminating service
Nagpur: The Nagpur bench of Bombay High Court has asked a Gondia-based college management to conduct a fresh probe against three lecturers before terminating their services.
"It would be a travesty of justice if these employees, who have rendered continuous service for 13 to 14 years should not be granted protection," a division bench of Justices Vasanti Naik and Arun Chaudhari observed before disposing of their petitions yesterday.
The court asked Wainganga Bahuudeshiya Vikas Sanstha, which runs Rajiv Gandhi Mahavidyalaya in Sadak Arjuni in neighbouring Gondia district, to conduct a fresh inquiry against the lecturers Rajkumar Bhagat, Anil Gaikwad, and Diwakar Kamble and put them under suspension instead of terminating them from service till the probe is completed.
The judges also set aside the orders of University and College Tribunal, Nagpur, terminating the services of the lecturers while granting liberty to the management to conduct an inquiry against them and complete it within a year.
The college management was also told to pay the lecturers subsistence allowance during the suspension period.
The three lecturers were charge-sheeted by the management for alleged acts of misconduct and departmental inquiry was instituted. Subsequently, they were terminated from service.
They filed appeals before the tribunal which held that university`s permission was not required for terminating them.
It also ruled that they could not be confirmed in the service since they did not possess NET/SET (national eligibility test/ state eligibility test for lecturership) qualifications, as made mandatory by the UGC.
Both sides then moved the Nagpur bench filing five petitions against each other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack