HC asks for probe against lecturers before terminating service
Nagpur: The Nagpur bench of Bombay High Court has asked a Gondia-based college management to conduct a fresh probe against three lecturers before terminating their services.
"It would be a travesty of justice if these employees, who have rendered continuous service for 13 to 14 years should not be granted protection," a division bench of Justices Vasanti Naik and Arun Chaudhari observed before disposing of their petitions yesterday.
The court asked Wainganga Bahuudeshiya Vikas Sanstha, which runs Rajiv Gandhi Mahavidyalaya in Sadak Arjuni in neighbouring Gondia district, to conduct a fresh inquiry against the lecturers Rajkumar Bhagat, Anil Gaikwad, and Diwakar Kamble and put them under suspension instead of terminating them from service till the probe is completed.
The judges also set aside the orders of University and College Tribunal, Nagpur, terminating the services of the lecturers while granting liberty to the management to conduct an inquiry against them and complete it within a year.
The college management was also told to pay the lecturers subsistence allowance during the suspension period.
The three lecturers were charge-sheeted by the management for alleged acts of misconduct and departmental inquiry was instituted. Subsequently, they were terminated from service.
They filed appeals before the tribunal which held that university`s permission was not required for terminating them.
It also ruled that they could not be confirmed in the service since they did not possess NET/SET (national eligibility test/ state eligibility test for lecturership) qualifications, as made mandatory by the UGC.
Both sides then moved the Nagpur bench filing five petitions against each other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video