HC asks Maha to probe escape of 2 kids from Mankhurd home
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Tuesday directed the Maharashtra government and city police to continue the probe into the escape of two children from a mentally challenged children`s home at suburban Mankhurd last year.
The direction was given by a bench headed by Justice D Y Chandrachud who asked the Trombay police to submit a report on the issue.
The Court was acting on a report submitted by a Court-appointed Committee which said that two children had escaped last year from the mentally challenged children`s home at Mankhurd.
According to amicus curiae Asha Bajpai, who was appointed to assist the court in the matter, the boy who escaped in July was 14 years and ten months old. However, his mental age was said to have been calculated as six years, and thus falling in the category of `moderate mental retardation`.
The other incident is said to have taken place on November 11.
The Court also asked the Social Welfare department to give attention to health and education of the mentally challenged boys. If necessary, the Government should deploy special teachers for the mentally deficient children`s home and work out a rehabilitation plan for them, the judges said adding copies of such plans should be given to the Amicus Curiae.
The Court also directed the Commissioner of Disability to cooperate with the concerned departments of the State in rehabilitation of mentally deficient children.
The Court expressed concern that although Rs 10.5 lakh had been earmarked for the compound wall of the Mankhurd institution, the work had not been completed.
The judges directed the authorities to complete the construction of the compound wall within two weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand