HC for mechanism to inform complainant about status of complaint
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has suggested that Maharashtra government set up a mechanism whereby police can inform complainants that no `cognizable` offence is made out in a case.
Cognizable offence is any serious offence where police have to conduct probe, without court`s order.
"If the police, after applying its mind, feels that no cognizable offence is made out from the complaint, then it should communicate this immediately. This will then allow the complainants to pursue other legal courses," division bench of Justices AS Oka and SS Jadhav said.
"Why not consider setting up a machinery for this," the court added.
The bench was hearing a petition filed by a person seeking direction to Thane police to initiate action on a complaint-letter sent by him in 2009. He had alleged cheating by a relation.
The police informed the court last week that it conducted inquiry and found that it was a civil dispute between family members, and no cognizable offence was made out.
"People write complaints to the police and do not get a response for years and then finally they approach High Court seeking relief. We have to tell them to adopt other legal remedies like filing private complaints (in Magistrate`s court). If you (police) feel no case is made out, then why can`t the police themselves inform the complainant? It is the police`s obligation," Justice Oka said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey