HC tells CID to complete probe into death of Buddhist monk
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today gave
four weeks time to State CID to complete its probe into the
cause of death of a Buddhist monk which led to a small riot in
suburban Govandi in January 2008.
Justice Ajay Khanvilkar and Justice U D Salvi also asked
the state CID to file chargesheet within a month after they
complete the probe.
The monk, Bhante Bhadhant Sanghraj (75) was found dead at
Sandesh Budhvihar, a Buddhist temple in Govandi on January 6,
2008. His body was found hanging from ceiling. Initially, a
case of suicide was registered, but later police filed a
murder case as some injury marks were found on the body.
A petition was filed by another Buddhist monk, Dhante
Nandboghi, whose counsel Sanghraj Rupawate submitted that
there was a conflict between the deceased and a SRA developer,
A H Lakdawala. He alleged that the monk had been murdered.
The petitioner alleged that the deceased was strangulated
because he had opposed the SRA project. He also annexed a
letter from the Government saying that they would transfer the
probe to CBI and until then CID would probe.
On the last occasion, CID informed the Court that the
probe was nearly over and the papers had been forwarded to
senior officers for further orders. They even assured that CID
would soon file a report. However, no report was filed till
When the matter came up today, the CID told the court
that they had to get the statements of witnesses recorded by a
Magistrate so that their case is fortified. For this they
asked for time and the court allowed their plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them