Hit by a financial crisis, techie, wife end lives after killing children
Mumbai: Apparently depressed over severe financial crisis, an IT professional and his wife allegedly committed suicide after killing their two minor children at their rented apartment here, police said on Monday. The four died due to consumption of poisonous substance.
Their faces were found wrapped with polythene in their flat on the 5th floor of a 15-storeyed building in Wadala, central Mumbai, they said. The deceased were identified as Donalas Anthony (47), a software professional, his wife Elizabeth Lizey (46) and their children Jason (12) and Vivian (4), police said.
The bodies were in a decomposed state and police suspect they may have died at least two days ago. "Prima facie it appears to be a case of suicide. No valuables were stolen from the house, where everything was intact. Anthony was going through financial problems and this could have forced him to take this extreme step," Additional Police Commissioner Praveen Salunkhe said.
The incident came to light when foul smell emanated from the flat, which was opened with duplicate keys, which Anthony`s brother Anil, who stays in Worli, had with him. According to police, Anil along with his son went to his brother`s home this morning.
"Anthony had told Anil a few days ago that he was going abroad with his family. Carrying duplicate keys, Anil went to his brother`s house, where he found the bodies in the bedroom," Salunkhe added. The bodies were taken to a civic-run hospital for post -mortem, police said, adding no suicide note was found.
"Anthony was bankrupt and he also required to make payments towards some legal-related matters but he had no money," Salunkhe added. "The couple might have killed their son and daughter first and then they would have ended their lives," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'