I accept the responsibility with humility: Chavan
New Delhi: Shortly after he was chosen as the next Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Prithviraj Chavan said that he feels honoured for being given the responsibility to lead the state.
Speaking to reporters Wednesday, Chavan said, “Maharashtra Congress prabhari AK Anthony informed me today morning that the Congress president has chosen me to lead Maharashtra. I requested Prime Minister to relive me of responsibilities in the union cabinet; PM blessed me.”
64-year-old Chavan, who has resigned today as the Minister of State in the PMO, said he is highly honoured and humbled by the onerous responsibility at an important juncture. “I accept the responsibility with full humility,” he said. Chavan is a Member of the Parliament representing Maharashtra in the Rajya Sabha.
“I will work for the people of Maharashtra. I seek the support of all and will try to take everybody together. I will do my best to give leadership to the preeminent state in the country,” Chavan added.
Chavan also thanked the media for “supporting him”. Chavan has before him the gigantic task of reshaping the Maharashtra Congress which is marred by serious corruption allegations.
He is expected to leave for Mumbai today afternoon and will, in all probability, be sworn-in as the next Chief Minister of the important state tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India