In Mumbai, over 100 police bunkers set up after 26/11
New Delhi: More than 100 bunkers manned
by armed police personnel have been set up in different
corners of Mumbai in the aftermath of November 26 terror
Replying to an RTI application filed by Mumbai
resident Chetan Kothari, senior police inspectors of 86 police
stations have said that bunkers were set up in different
corners of the city to protect its people and private and
public property against terrorism.
"There are 86 police stations and when calculated the
replies sent by almost all, the number of bunkers set up in
different corners of the city accounted to more than 100,"
Police documents show that every police station has
one bunker in its closed vicinity and the rest have been set
up in different areas that are manned by each police station.
"There is one bunker within the closed area of
Borivali police station and six others in different corners of
the city that come under the jurisdiction of Borivali police
station," Kothari said quoting the RTI reply.
"These are unlike the military bunkers that are fully
or partly underground and proper cemented constructions. Sand
bags, one upon the other have been set up in a C shape upto a
height of five to six feet. Some have a plastic shade and
others are open with no protection form the sun nor the rain,"
Set up either on the pavement or in one corner of the
road, bunkers are seen in many places, including Cuffe Parade,
Marine drive, V P Road, Gaon Devi(4), Yellow Gate, Azad
Maidan, Paidhuni, Goray Gaon, Malad, Bangur, Malwani, Chembur,
Shivaji Nagar and Borivali.
The bunkers are manned by constables and officers who
are equipped with telephone, bullet proof jackets, self
loading rifles, pistols and helmets.
Citing the case of Bangur police station, Kothari
said, "Bangur police station area has come up with two
bunkers. The men guarding have been provided with telephone,
helmet, bullet proof jackets, one carbine each with 30 round,
one SLR each with 50 rounds, one pistol with 30 rounds and a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...