Industries may face action for polluting rivers
Mumbai: Concerned about increasing river
pollution across Maharashtra, the State Government is expected
to take stringent action against industries.
"Unfortunately, all rivers in the state are polluted. A
report based on pollution in rivers in western Maharashtra
would be soon submitted to the Speaker of the State
Legislature and action to be taken against industries can be
decided then," said Minister for Water Supply and Sanitation,
Lakshman Dhoble today.
Rivers flowing in 300 villages, 14 Municipal Councils and
three Municipal Corporations have been covered in the report,
after repeated complaints of water pollution from Pimpari-
Chichwad Municipal Corporation near Pune, Dhoble said.
The issue was raised during the last Assembly session and
the Speaker had asked to make a detail report on it. The
Collector concerned has prepared the report, the minister
Meanwhile, the Government is planning to have a
cleanliness drive during Vari, an annual pilgrimage to the
Lord Vithoba temple at Pandharpur.
"We want the people to be aware about the clean
environment during vari which goes on for about 15 days,"
The drive would have cultural groups and scenes to make
the people understand about the clean environment. The
minister himself would participate in the vari to encourage
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi