Industries may face action for polluting rivers
Mumbai: Concerned about increasing river
pollution across Maharashtra, the State Government is expected
to take stringent action against industries.
"Unfortunately, all rivers in the state are polluted. A
report based on pollution in rivers in western Maharashtra
would be soon submitted to the Speaker of the State
Legislature and action to be taken against industries can be
decided then," said Minister for Water Supply and Sanitation,
Lakshman Dhoble today.
Rivers flowing in 300 villages, 14 Municipal Councils and
three Municipal Corporations have been covered in the report,
after repeated complaints of water pollution from Pimpari-
Chichwad Municipal Corporation near Pune, Dhoble said.
The issue was raised during the last Assembly session and
the Speaker had asked to make a detail report on it. The
Collector concerned has prepared the report, the minister
Meanwhile, the Government is planning to have a
cleanliness drive during Vari, an annual pilgrimage to the
Lord Vithoba temple at Pandharpur.
"We want the people to be aware about the clean
environment during vari which goes on for about 15 days,"
The drive would have cultural groups and scenes to make
the people understand about the clean environment. The
minister himself would participate in the vari to encourage
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion