Jaitapur: Chavan demands probe against NGOs, Sena
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan Wednesday remained noncommittal over a demand for a probe into the "motives and funding patterns" of the NGOs and Shiv Sena who are opposing the Jaitapur nuclear power
State Congress spokesman Sachin Sawant in his letter
to the Minister of State in PMO V Narayansamy has sought a
probe against the NGOs associated with the stir and Shiv Sena
which is spearheading the campaign against the project.
The demand was made in the backdrop of the Centre
initiating action against certain NGOs opposing the Kudankulam
nuclear power project in Tamil Nadu.
When asked if he backed the demand for the probe,
Chavan said he was not aware of the names of any individuals
"If anybody is working against national interests, the
Centre will take action," he said.
Chavan and his deputy Ajit Pawar were interacting with
media after inaugurating a renovated press room of the
Mantralaya and Vidhimandal Vartahar Sangh.
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar said the state
government was committed to complete the 9900 MW Jaitapur
nuclear power project.
"...It will happen," he said, adding a nuclear power
project is also coming up in the neighbouring Gujarat.
Pawar also criticised Shiv Sena for refraining former
Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) chairman Anil Kakodkar from
speaking about the project.
"How can one justify this high-handed behaviour of
Shiv Sena," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!