Kolhapur toll plaza: Total bandh after Shiv Sena calls for shutdown
Zee Media Bureau
Kolhapur: Total bandh was observed in Kolhapur on Monday after call for complete shutdown was made by Shiv Sena protesting against the toll collection at nine roads leading to the city.
Shops remained shut and life was paralysed after in protest against the IBRC Infrastructure Developer`s decision to start toll collection.
Leaders of Shiv Sena had earlier said that medical services will not be affected by the bandh and hospitals will remain open.
The protest turned violent on Sunday after protesters vandalise and four toll plaza booths and burnt down the toll plaza property.
Kolhapur residents have been protesting against the toll collection at the booths from the last three years.
Around a a week ago, members of anti-toll action committee had launched a hunger strike against toll collection after which the Maharashtra Minister of State for Home Satej Patil and Labour Minister Hasan Mushrif had assured them that government would ask the company to stop toll collection.
However, collection continued till Sunday leading to protest.
Police claim to have detained some protesters vandalising the booths.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan appealed to the agitators to remain calm.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Investigative agencies have ability to find money trail: Jayant Sinha
- Theory that UPA blacklisted AgustaWestland 'figment of somebody's imagination', says Arun Jaitley
- Sex once a week best for your relationship
- 'The Flash' movie loses director over creative differences?
- Odd-even scheme again successful: Gopal Rai