Left, Shiv Sena for scrapping of Jaitapur project
New Delhi: Supporting protesters from
Maharashtra in their demand for scrapping the Jaitapur nuclear
power plant project, political leaderson Tuesday claimed that the
proposed project was dangerous for the state.
CPI(M) general secretary Prakash Karat, CPI national
secretary D Raja, RPI chief Ramdas Athawale and Shiv Sena`s
Rajan Salvi among others, addressed the protest at Jantar
Mantar, which was organised by people from Maharashtra`s
Addressing the protest, Karat said an untested
technology is being used for the project which he alleged was
to benefit the French company Areva.
"The work should stop. A new technology is being
experimented there," Karat said.
Echoing the same views as Karat, Raja also demanded an
immediate halt to the work being carried out at the project
and said that the government should initiate a "proper and
enlightened" discussion on the issue.
Against the backdrop of the nuclear disaster in Japan`s
Fukushima, he said, the Jaitapur issue has become a national
Athawale alleged the project would destroy the Konkan
region of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda