Left, Shiv Sena for scrapping of Jaitapur project
New Delhi: Supporting protesters from
Maharashtra in their demand for scrapping the Jaitapur nuclear
power plant project, political leaderson Tuesday claimed that the
proposed project was dangerous for the state.
CPI(M) general secretary Prakash Karat, CPI national
secretary D Raja, RPI chief Ramdas Athawale and Shiv Sena`s
Rajan Salvi among others, addressed the protest at Jantar
Mantar, which was organised by people from Maharashtra`s
Addressing the protest, Karat said an untested
technology is being used for the project which he alleged was
to benefit the French company Areva.
"The work should stop. A new technology is being
experimented there," Karat said.
Echoing the same views as Karat, Raja also demanded an
immediate halt to the work being carried out at the project
and said that the government should initiate a "proper and
enlightened" discussion on the issue.
Against the backdrop of the nuclear disaster in Japan`s
Fukushima, he said, the Jaitapur issue has become a national
Athawale alleged the project would destroy the Konkan
region of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH