Maha Governor to take up issue of women safety with Chavan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan today assured women journalists here that he will take up the issue of the safety of women in the state with Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan.
Addressing a group of women scribes representing the print and electronic media who met him at Raj Bhavan, the Governor said he would also take up the issue of enhancing the safety of women in local trains with the Railway Minister.
The journalists voiced their concern on safety of women in Mumbai in the backdrop of Thursday`s gangrape of a photojournalist, a Raj Bhavan spokesperson said.
"We have strong laws to protect the life and liberty of citizens; what we need is effective implementation of the laws," the Governor said.
The journalists narrated to the Governor instances of harassment suffered by women while travelling alone on streets and in trains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'