Maharashtra celebrates I-Day against backdrop of naval tragedy
Mumbai: Maharashtra on Thursday celebrated the 67th Independence Day in the shadow of Wednesday`s naval tragedy in which 18 sailors were feared killed after an Indian Navy submarine sank here.
Governor K Sankaranarayanan unfurled the national flag in Pune and greeted the people on the occasion.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan hoisted the tricolour at a function in the Mantralaya and spoke about the strides made by the state in various sectors.
Mumbai Mayor Sunil Prabhu also unfurled the flag at the Brihan Mumbai Municipal Corporation headquarters with a large number of employees in attendance.
Similar functions were held at the headquarters of the Western Railway, Central Railway and Konkan Railway, the state Police Headquarters, headquarters of various political parties, government buildings, private organisations, colleges and schools and housing complexes across the city.
In some parts of Vidarbha, which has been ravaged by massive floods in recent weeks, some people boycotted the official functions but held their own small celebrations to mark the occasion.
"This was to register our silent protest at the lack of help to the people in the flood-ravaged areas and the continuing neglect of the debt-hit farmers of this region," said Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti chief Kishore Tiwari.
Mumbai and state police have put up stringent security measures in the city to ensure incident-free celebrations.
In a major setback for the Indian Navy, a Russian-made conventional submarine caught fire and sank at dawn with 18 sailors at the Mumbai dockyard Wednesday after two near simultaneous explosions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends